Thursday, November 26, 2009

An Exercise in Thanksgiving

1. Think back over the fast 10 years. What are you the most grateful for during that time period?
The chance to finish my high school career at Ridgeview, the opportunity to go to Liberty University, and parents that were able to pay for my college, Zoe being born, finding the love of my life, getting pregnant without a problem, beautiful and healthy Bailey Anne, and also the learning and growth that has come about because of the trials in my family

2. Now think back over the past year. What are you most grateful for during that time period?
the birth of my beautiful baby girl.... I don't think one day has gone by this year where I have not thanked God for her

3. Now what about the past week? What are you most grateful for?
having a husband who is a teacher so he gets great holiday breaks from work! And my vibrant niece Zoe who just turned 5!

4. The following verse says "O give thanks unto the Lord; for He is good; for His mercy endureth forever. 1 Chronicles 16:34. Name a way that God has been good to you lately.
What way HASN'T He been good to me? This past year, with my friend Malisa losing her baby to a genetic disorder, and Tyson battling brain cancer, I have asked myself so many times, "Why did God allow this to happen to them, and not me? What's the difference?" and obviously I don't know the answer to that question, but I am thankful, that for now, it is NOT me in those shoes. So God has been good to me by sparing me the personal heartache of situations such as these during this season in my life.

5. Name 2 physical or monetary blessings you've received lately.
It was a financial blessing to get to babysit for Marcy the other day. Obviously one day of babysitting doesn't amount to a great deal of money, but every little bit helps, and it was just another way of God showing me the He will provide for us. Also, I have been losing weight, rather effortlessly really, so that is a physical blessing.

6. Name 2 spiritual blessings you've received lately.
I have felt a renewed love for and desire to be in God's Word. Also, during my times with God recently, He has really been addressing issues that are very relevant in my life right now. I love it when that happens.

7. How often do you give praise to God?
I don't think that I could ever praise Him enough, but I do think the tragedies I have seen in others' lives has given me a renewed sense of thankfulness. Even just last night, in the middle of the night, when I was up nursing Bailey, I just sat there staring at her and could only thank God for the blessing she is in my life.

8. Do you think God is pleased with how you praise Him?
The quality, yes. The quantity, no.

9. Name someone that God has placed in your life to be a blessing to you.
Trying to think outside the box, aside from the obvious people... I do have to say Summer, and how graciously and beautifully she has handled the unfavorable lot in life that God has chosen to place on her right now. I only hope that if I were ever to deal with a terminally ill child, that I could handle it with the same grace and attitude that she has shown. Also, (and I don't say this just because I know she will read it) Courtney. She coordinated meals for me when I had Bailey and basically went grocery shopping for me and brought all kinds of great stuff. I know she is someone I could ask for help or anything I needed and she would be willing to do whatever she could. She's just been a great friend and example.

10. Now that you have reflected on how God has blessed you, choose a person this week(even during the busy holiday season) and be a blessing to that person.

Here are a few ideas:

Send someone a card to encourage them
Take someone a batch of cookies or fresh baked bread
Make dinner for someone
Visit a lonely or elderly person
Send someone flowers just for the fun of it

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

How sweet of you to mention me. :<} But I sure don't deserve to be in the same post as Summer. :<} Love you!!!