Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Choo-Choo Train

Bailey has recently learned that a train says "choo-choo!" and will now say it when I point out a train to her. There is a train track less than a mile from us, so we can hear the whistle blow when it goes by. It's always fun to stop and say "Do you hear that, Bailey? What is that?" and for her to say "Choo-choo!".



This reminds me of my earliest memory. It was the night that my parents went to the hospital for my baby sister to be born. My grandparents came to stay with me at our house. I believe I woke up in the middle of the night and was scared. My grandma came in my room and cuddled up very close to me. I still remember where my bed was in the room, even. Interesting, the details we are able to recall.

It was quiet enough, that with her head pressed against mine, she could hear my heart beating. She said something to the effect that it sounded like a train was coming through my ears. Sounds funny to see it written down. But there it is, my first memory.

My grandma has been in heaven for over a decade now, but I sure do miss her still. I have a jar of lotion that belonged to her, and every now and then I pull it out and take a whiff, just so I don't forget her scent. More than once, I have thought to myself that I wish she had gotten a chance to know her great-grandbabies, Zoe & Bailey. She would just eat them up. I guess a heavenly meeting will have to do one day. :)

What's your earliest memory?

No comments: